One way to take advantage of remote schooling is to let your students take all of those field trips your school would never approve or be able to afford.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started.
Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History -Among its truly fantastic exhibits, this museum’s presention of the evolution of life on earth is engaging and easy to follow.
The Seattle Aquarium offers a 30 minute video tour.
Monterey Bay Aquarium offers 10 live web cams of jellyfish, sharks, and penguins, among others.
The Georgia Aquarium has 8 live webcams including sea otters, beluga whales, and jellyfish.
The San Diego Zoo offers 11 live web cams of various animals including babbons, koalas, and giraffes.
Learn the night sky with Star Atlas which shows you the stars and the planets in real time and also in the future so you can plan what you want to look for tonight. Take a virtual tour of Mars on the Curiosity rover. The International Space Station recently published a virtual tour here.
Check in with an assortment of live volcano cams and compare action from one day to the next. Check out a live camera of Old Faithful at Yellowstone National Park which includes predictions for the next eruption.
Take a virtual tour of the Son Doong Cave in Vietnam.
Look for aurora on Fairbanks AK’s Aurora cam.
The Virtual Archaeology Museum offers fantastic virtual tours of 5 different shipwrecks.
YouTube offers a panda-cam from the Atlanta Zoo, a Shark-cam produced by Explore.org, and a penguin-cam and giraffe cam by the Kansas City Zoo. Southwest Florida hosts an eagle cam which, as of today, has a nesting pair of eagles. Explore.org also hosts a polar bear cam based in the Scandinavian Wildlife Park in Kolind, Denmark. The African Safari cam overlooks the main beach of the watering hole at Mpala Research Centre in central Kenya’s Laikipia County. We saw giraffes, a herd of elephants, hippos, and a crocodile.
Using Google Earth, you can take tours of:
- Acadia National Park
- Arches National Park
- Badlands National Park
- Big Bend National Park
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
- Bruce Canyon National Park
- Canyonlands National Park
- Channel Islands National Park
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Death Valley National Park
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Grand Teton National Park
- Great Smoky Mountain National Park
- Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Mesa Verde National Park
- Mount Rainier National Park
- Olympic National Park
- Redwood National and State Parks
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Sequoia National Park
- Shenandoah National Park
- Virgin Islands National Park
- Wind Cave National Park
- Yellowstone National Park
- Here are Point Of View videos for some of the most famous rides in Disney and other parks:
- Watch the shows:
What’s your favorite virtual tour?